Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Apple's Other Portable Devices: Macbooks Deserve More Face Time From Apple's Marketing

Here, I've spent a lot of time talking about iPhones and iPads.  And I felt that I've left Apple's Macbook line out of the discussion for the most part.  And it's not just me.  It's virtually everyone who write about tech, specifically, Apple's mobile tech and vision.

Perhaps, it is because we just at the beginning of the post-PC era but are now well into it.  It doesn't mean that PC will go the way of the dinosaurs.  They'll remind a big part of our lives.  It is just that we will not be talking about it in ways we've done in the past.  

Two things will happen.  The personal computer will continue on an evolutionary trajectory.  Faster, lighter, longer battery life.  But no more beyond that.  It is possible that it may be folded into something like that tablet.  And if needed, it can be turned into a PC with a docking station at home, school, or the office.

Motorola's Atrix that runs on Android could be a glimpse of this future.  Our iOS devices will take on more PC roles as it gains more processing and video power.  

Or, it could morph into something unrecognizable by today's standard.  I had envision a home server that acts as a private cloud for other mobile devices to work off of and to store files or stream media.  

Either way, those futures are still a long way off.  I'm loving my late-2007 unibody Macbook and my late 2010 Macbook Air.  And they've got a lot of milage on them of years and years to come.  And I hope Apple continues to make great portable PCs and promote them just as hard as they do the iOS devices.

No comments:

MacBook Air M2 - I Love It And Any Laptop You Get Will Always Be Right For the Time

The 2016 MacBook sitting off to the side still has some value as I gleefully starting using my MacBook Air M2 that I got for a decent price ...