Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mobile: Prepaid Plans For The iPhone As Explained By Dave The Mobile Sage

Sometimes, we bloggers get expected and we talk about things in terms only we understand.  And sometimes, it can get pretty complicated.  So, when Dave the Mobile Sage sent me this post from The Unofficial Apple Weblog about how to set up a relatively cheap prepaid plan for the iPhone, I got really excited.

But it was not all that easy to understand under the first read or the second read.  So I inquired the mobile sage about it and he put it into terms even I can understand.

In simpler terms:

  1. Get a prepaid sim from att
  2. Set up an online account for the sim (you might need to a att prepaid phone to this)
  3. Buy a $100 prepaid card to fund the account
  4. Update the account to use a per-minute talk plan ($0.10 / minute, $0.20 / text)
  5. Call 611 to add a data package, the fees will be deducted from your $100 balance ($25 for 500 MB / $15 for 100 MB / $5 for 10 MB)
  6. When the balance run out, just add more money

Unused data can roll over, you just need to top up with at least $5 each month.

The points above were lifted from his e-mail to me with his blessing.  I reckon this could also work with any GSM smartphones.  Android, Blackberry, or Windows Phone devices.  If you try this, please let us know how you like it.


No comments:

MacBook Air M2 - I Love It And Any Laptop You Get Will Always Be Right For the Time

The 2016 MacBook sitting off to the side still has some value as I gleefully starting using my MacBook Air M2 that I got for a decent price ...