Thursday, August 11, 2011

Want an Ultrabook? Well, You Can Thank Apple For That

I have a 11" MacBook Air. And I love it. More than even the iPad...almost. And it looks like with the death of the netbook, Intel is looking to replace them with te ultrabook.

Ultrabooks are a new class of light weight notebooks inspired by Apple's MacBook Air and the iPad. Don't believe me? Them believe Intel's Greg Welch, director of Intel's Ultrabook division. And Intel is putting $300 million into this new effort to keep the PC alive longer.

Furthermore, it was Apple's telling Intel that it was dissatisfied with Intel's mobile effort that served as a wake-up call. Because of Apple's unhappiness with the power hungry chips, Intel worked to lower the typical 35-40W power consumption down to about 15W.

So yeah, we can thank Apple for this. Looking forward to see Windows ultrabooks to complete with the MacBook Airs next year.

More at WSJ.

/

No comments:

MacBook Air M2 - I Love It And Any Laptop You Get Will Always Be Right For the Time

The 2016 MacBook sitting off to the side still has some value as I gleefully starting using my MacBook Air M2 that I got for a decent price ...