Sunday, March 4, 2012

Microsoft Casts Stones At Android And iPhone Without Realizing Its House Doesn't Even Have Walls

Meet Terry Myerson, head of Windows Phone at Microsoft, needs to talk less and work more on giving us clear answers about the future of WP phones, upgrades, and who can or cannot use Windows Phone 8. See, WP7 and WP8 are entirely different OSes and current WP7 phones are unlikely to ever see WP8.

At the Mobile World Congress, Mr. Myerson bashed both Apple's iPhone and Andoid for having shoddy updates. For one thing, he accused Apple of making older iPhones slower thrrough new iOS versions so users will be forced to buy new iPhones. Meanwhile, he said Android devices hardly ever get upgrades.

I can't say that Android devices hardly get upgrades. They're slow in coming and only one or too units that I can think of, the original Samsung Galaxy S, isn't slated for Android 4, Ice Cream Sandwich, but that matter still has not been quite settled yet.

As for Apple purposefully making older iPhones slower through updates, I've often often about that. As a matter of fact, I think all software companies do that. The biggest culprit is Microsoft itself. In fact, as a Windows user for since Windows 3, I can attest to the fact that it became an tradition to wonder if new versions, including updates, makes systems slower on purpose

And I am not just talking about going form Windows 98 to Windows XP. I am referring to even simple updates. I am also referring debacles like Vista. If anything, Vista was about getting users to upgrade. Buying new PCs is means also new Windows sales.

At least, iPhones are upgradeable for at least three years after their initial purchase. And with Android devices, there is always the option of the Android community pulling together to get new versions into the hands of users.

Now, let's talk about Windows Phone a bit. WP7 is vastly different from Windows Phone 8, which is based on Windows 8 itself. And WP7 is based on the older Windows CE kernel. It'll take a lot of work for Microsoft to get WP8 to work on older hardware, some of which as less than a year old.

So, I ask you. Who is forcing users to upgrade their phones on purpose here! In less than a year, no less?

More at Neowin.

 

No comments:

MacBook Air M2 - I Love It And Any Laptop You Get Will Always Be Right For the Time

The 2016 MacBook sitting off to the side still has some value as I gleefully starting using my MacBook Air M2 that I got for a decent price ...