Thursday, August 15, 2013

iPhone 6 (or 5S): If It Does Have a Finger Print Scanner, It Could Give Apple Greater In-Road Into Enterprises

The gadget market can be divided up into certain segments - consumer, education, and enterprise.  And while a fingerprint sensor in the next iPhone could help usher in some sort of mobile payment scheme from Apple, I believe it is Enterprise who will benefit the most from this and solidify Apple's place in businesses the way not seen since Blackberry's Messenger did.

Here's the thing, typing in a pass code is easy.  Setting one up on the iPhone is also easy but the problem is it requires that the user use a number they can remember.  Someone's birthday, probably theirs or members of their immediate family.  Pin numbers.  You get it. You know what I'm talking about even if you don't subscribe to such practice.  Chances are, you know someone who does.

I can tell you know, I don't.  I've got an incredible memory for things like this.  I can look at a few sets of numbers for a few seconds and remember them all.  But if someone knocks me over the head and I suffer amnesia, all bets are off.  

But with fingerprint authentication, this is very different.  Now, I don't know just what Apple has planned for this or what API access they'll give companies and developers but I have to figure that Apple has thought of as much contingencies as they can at this point for fingerprint use.  

Assuming all that, protecting company documents and secrets become more natural and fluid.  And if the user only has to place a finger print on the scanner to gain access, it becomes easier than typing in a code (maybe it requires both depending on the app or how the company set things up).

The only thing is that I hate to see people lose their fingers to thieves who wanted access to the user's iPhone.  However, that may or may not be a major issue.  Supposed someone were to steal a corporate iPhone.  The might somehow gleamed the pass code but without the finger print, they still will not have access to the data. 

And added layer of security and easy one at that to implement in using the iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 is going to go a long way in making corporate security breath a bit easier.  And even for individuals, this is going to help make sure that thieves understand they cannot make off with a stolen iPhone and immediately gain access or use of it without the right finger prints. 

No comments:

MacBook Air M2 - I Love It And Any Laptop You Get Will Always Be Right For the Time

The 2016 MacBook sitting off to the side still has some value as I gleefully starting using my MacBook Air M2 that I got for a decent price ...