Monday, April 14, 2014

Samsung Right Up There With Battery Life - Apple, Google, Microsoft Far, Far Behind

Say what you will about Samsung (good or bad), it appears that Samsung has made battery life a priority, something that I have found lacking in the mobile market in general and, more specifically, lacking over with Apple and other major mobile hardware makers.  I specifically pointed out Apple because this is likely one area where Apple will be forced to copycat Samsung.

For years, Apple has accused Samsung as a copycat.  Apple is both right and wrong.  It's right because Samsung does copy Apple.  Let's be fair about this, folks.  Samsung does.  But it doesn't just copy Apple. 

At the same time, Apple isn't guilt free as far as being a copycat goes.  It has in the past taken the best features from other companies and made it its own.  Albeit, sometimes improve upon them. 

In the mobile where, having impressively long battery life is a feature.  As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the most important feature a phone or tablet can have.  According to Phone Arena, Samsung's new Galaxy S 5 is in a class of its own with battery life that nears that of tablets like Apple's iPad Air with its impressively long battery life.

And I reiterate again, Apple will have to figure out a way catch up to Samsung with better battery life on its iOS devices, specifically the next generation iPhone.  And if I were Samsung, I'd use battery life to hammer Apple or anyone else in its marketing.

Galaxy S5 will sport 8 hours and 20 minutes of battery life while only behind the iPad Air by 18 minutes.  It's biggest phone competitor, the iPhone 5S is way behind at just 2 minutes over 5 hours.  As an iPhone user, I'm very disappointed with its battery life.  Sure, it'll last me a regular day's worth of mobile activity but it's very moderate by most standards.  If I use the camera or wireless features too much, I'd start worry about finding an outlet or making sure I've got my external battery pack handy.

So, this is absolutely a knock on Apple.  But at the same time, Google, LG, HTC, and Microsoft/Nokia are even worse. 

No comments:

MacBook Air M2 - I Love It And Any Laptop You Get Will Always Be Right For the Time

The 2016 MacBook sitting off to the side still has some value as I gleefully starting using my MacBook Air M2 that I got for a decent price ...