Tuesday, September 14, 2021

New iPhone 13: The Biggest Story Is Its Battery Life

 I cannot say that Apple really surprised us today with the event that introduced new iPads, iPhones, and the Apple Watch. There was something of interest for fitness fans just after Apple introduced the Apple Watch 7 that went longer than expected but the iPhone 13 was still why people showed up. And while cinema videography was pretty awesome, it was the battery life on the iPhone 13 that really should be the headline.


Should we be surprised by Apple giving the newer iPhones better battery life? Not really.  Thinking back now, Apple has been on a tear in the last few years starting with the iPhone XR that really impressed me. And year after year, battery life has improved to the point that I complain about it every other day rather than every day.  Okay, may be not but you know what I mean. I’m no longer anxious about running out of juice the way I did with the original SE, iPhone 8, and the X.  Since the XR and 11, Apple has brining its A game to the battery fight.


Normally, the lower end iPhone do not get a lot of attention in terms of features (missing a telephoto lens for example) or battery life. However, the iPhone 13 and the iPhone 13 mini will get an extra 2.5 hours and 1.5 hours respectively.  That puts the iPhone 13 at 19 hours of video and the iPhone 13 mini at 17 hours. Real world use varies. Given my experience with my iPhone 12 mini, I can go through the day and have about 40% left by the time I leave world. And this is really world use. It would put me at around 50% if I use the iPhone 13 mini in th same matter.

This means streaming podcasts, some video, a couple of photos, texting and reading Twitter/news, emails, and some writing.


For the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max, there is an even bigger improvement. The iPhone 13 Pro gets 22 hours of video, 5 hours more than the iPhone 12 Pro while the iPhone 13 Pro Max gets 28 hours, a whole 8 hours more than its predecessor.  

If you do not have an iPhone 12, I would seriously suggest you give the iPhone 13 models a look. Better camera, longer battery life for real world use, and just the cinematic mode for taking video is worth the upgrades.

Personally, I’m pretty happy with with my green iPhone mini. And with the green discontinued as a color for the iPhone 13 this year, I think I’ll be sitting this year out. Maybe next year, eh, Apple?





No comments:

MacBook Air M2 - I Love It And Any Laptop You Get Will Always Be Right For the Time

The 2016 MacBook sitting off to the side still has some value as I gleefully starting using my MacBook Air M2 that I got for a decent price ...